We Offer DMV
Behind the Wheel Lessons
Behind the Wheel FAQ
My student is enrolled in your ODOT Teen program. When can we start scheduling drives?
- After we have created drive appointments in our scheduling system we will activate your online account. You will receive an email with your login cedientials. You may start scheduling at that time. This usually occurs a few days before class starts.
What makes your Driving Instructors qualified to teach my child? Do they have any specialized training?
- All of our instructors are DMV certified and have a minimum of 80 hours of training through Western Oregon University. They receive annual ongoing training and recertification.
My student does have their permit. I am not sure whether the Teen program is better for them or just the private drive lessons. What do you think? What is the big difference in the two?
- Students under the age of 18 will need to take the both the classroom and BTW prior to licensure unless a parent is going to spend 100 hours practicing with them.
- The classroom instruction prepares the students for BTW lessons and expands their knowledge of safe driving practices.
- Your insurance company will likely want to see that your student has completed an ODOT certified course before granting a discount on premiums.
What is the best for my child, a lot of driving practice before they start your teen class or not much drive experience before they start?
- We recommend enrolling students early in their driving experience.
Can I schedule more than one drive lesson a week for my student? Why not all 6?
- We have found that students learn best when they are given an opportunity to practice between lessons.
- Your student may schedule one lesson every 7 - 14 days.
My student is very nervous and scared to get behind the wheel. Are your instructors trained to handle the fear and nervousness from my student?
- Our lesson plans are designed to progress from simple to complex driving environments. We do not progress to the next level until the student is ready.
- Throughout the process our instructors maintain a calm disposition and remain in control at all times.
Are your vehicles equipped to assist the instructors if my student needs help during a lesson? If so, what special equipment is standard and what is available to accommodate students?
- All of our vehicles are equipped with a dual control brake and instructor mirrors. We have the following adaptive equipment available if needed:
- peddle extenders
- spinner knob
- turn signal extension
- telescoping steering wheels
- seat belt extenders
Can I request one particular instructor and be guaranteed I will always get that instructor?
- We cannot always guarantee you will get the same instructor for every lesson, but this can be requested and we will do our best to accommodate.
How long does my student have to complete all six drive lessons? Why is there a deadline?
- Students have up to 90 days from the first day of class to complete their classroom time and BTW lessons.
- ODOT requires concurrent instruction between the classroom sessions and BTW lessons.
- Failure to complete all class time and drives will result in the loss of the $210 discount. You will be responsible for this balance.
If my student does not pass the #6 drive test do they still get their Certificate?
- If your student does not pass the final drive assessment, they will not get their certificate. Students can retake the assessment for $40 per retake. The student must pass the assessment within 180 days form the first day of class.
For my student drive lessons, do we have to supply our vehicle for them to take their drive lessons in, or do you use your vehicle?
- We provide the vehicle equipped with a dual control brake for safety and instructor mirrors for safety. All vehicles have automatic transmission, four doors and air-conditioning.
I have had difficulty scheduling my student for their BTW lessons. What if I cannot get them done before the 90 days?
- Our staff is available to provide assistance. Please be sure to let us know early in the process if you are having difficulty so we can ensure your success.
Why do I have a $55.00 fee on my account?
- In the terms and conditions, we explain that any drive lesson that is cancelled with less than 72 hours’ notice will incur a fee of $55.00, and any drive cancelled with less than 4 hours’ notice will incur a fee of $110.00.
- Late cancellations not only impact the instructor they affect another family because students are scheduled in pairs.
Can I ride along with my student during their lesson?
- Since we are pairing students together for their teen drives there is not room for the parents to ride along. However, if you add private lessons you are welcome to ride quietly in the backseat and observe.
If I buy a drive lesson can you teach me the DMV drive route?
- No. The state does not allow us to take students on the test routes prior to licensing.
What if it snows or is raining really hard?
- We cancel drives if weather conditions warrant it. You will be notified as early as possible if it becomes necessary to do this.
- We make decisions about weather related cancellations specific to each location. We will reschedule drives in areas impacted by snow or ice.
- Generally in Oregon rain is not considered an extreme weather condition unless it leads to widespread flooding.
Should I wait until all of the classes are done before scheduling the drives?
- ODOT requires the first drive be between the 4th and 10th hour of classroom.
- Additional drives should be scheduled after that in 1 to 2 week intervals with lots of practice in between.
- At least the last two drives must be scheduled after classroom is complete to insure all class information has been presented before the lesson occurs in the vehicle.
All Behind the wheel sessions are scheduled outside of class time. You will receive login credentials on or around the first day of class. If your class fills you have 48 hours to complete enrollment with payment and/or permit to reserve your spot.
In an effort to ensure the success of your student in our ODOT approved driver education program, please plan to attend the required parent/student orientation. Expectations, objectives, and procedures will be reviewed. It is also a time to gain clarification regarding new laws and driving techniques. If you are unable to attend your students scheduled parent orientation, you may choose one that will better fit your schedule.
While the driving portion of our ODOT approved program runs concurrently with the scheduled class time, all drives and observations are conducted outside of class and may be at a different location. Behind-the-Wheel lessons are set in 6 two hour blocks.