Frequently Asked Questions - Behind the Wheel Lessons
What makes your Driving Instructors qualified to teach my child? Do they have any specialized training?
- All of our instructors are DMV certified and have a minimum of 80 hours of training through Western Oregon University. They receive annual ongoing training and recertification. The President of ODEC is also a certified Master Trainer.
My student does have their permit. I am not sure whether the Teen program is better for them or just the private drive lessons. What do you think? What is the big difference in the two?
- Students under the age of 18 will need to take the both the classroom and BTW prior to licensure unless a parent is going to spend 100 hours practicing with them.
- The classroom instruction prepares the students for BTW lessons and expands their knowledge of safe driving practices.
- Your insurance company will likely want to see that your student has completed an ODOT certified course before granting a discount on premiums.
What is the best for my child? A lot of driving practice before they start your teen class or not much drive experience before they start?
- We recommend enrolling students early in their driving experience.
Can I schedule more than one drive lesson a week for my student? Why not all 6?
- We have found that most people like having the flexibility of scheduling their own lessons and students learn best when they are given an opportunity to practice between lessons.
- Your student may schedule one lesson every 7 days.
My student is very nervous and scared to get behind the wheel. Are your instructors trained to handle the fear and nervousness from my student?
- Our lesson plans are designed to progress from simple to complex driving environments. We do not progress to the next level until the student is ready.
- Throughout the process our instructors maintain a calm disposition and remain in control at all times.
Are your vehicles equipped to assist the instructors if my student needs help during a lesson? If so, what special equipment is standard and what is available to accommodate students?
- All of our vehicles are equipped with a dual control brake.
- We have the following adaptive equipment available if needed:
- peddle extenders
- spinner knob
- turn signal extension
- telescoping steering wheels
- seat belt extenders
Can anyone any age take the Teen program? My student is over 18 yrs. but still attending school, why is she not eligible for the discount of $210.00?
- Anyone can take one of the teen courses. However, since students over the age of 17 are no longer subject to the Graduated Driver Licensing (GDL) laws, ODOT does not contribute to the cost of their driver education.
Can I request one particular instructor and be guaranteed I will always get that instructor?
- Since students schedule their own lessons online, they are free to choose the instructor. However, we cannot guarantee they will get the same instructor for every lesson.
How long does my student have to complete all six drive lessons? Why is there a deadline?
- Students have up to 90 days from the first day of class to complete their classroom time and BTW lessons.
- ODOT requires concurrent instruction between the classroom sessions and BTW lessons.
- Failure to complete all class time and drives will result in the loss of the $210 discount. You will be responsible for this balance.
If my student does not pass the #6 drive test do they still get their Certificate?
- We provide students with every opportunity to succeed. In order to pass the driving portion of the course, students must move successfully through all 6 lessons.
- The drive test during lesson #6 does not determine the success or failure of the student. It helps prepare them for the DMV drive test and reveals areas the students needs to spend more time perfecting.
For my student drive lessons, do we have to supply our vehicle for them to take their drive lessons in, or do you use your vehicle?
- We provide the vehicle equipped with a dual control brake for safety. All vehicles have automatic transmission, four doors and air-conditioning.
I have had difficulty scheduling my student for their BTW lessons. What if I cannot get them done before the 90 days?
- Our staff is available to provide assistance. Please be sure to let us know early in the process if you are having difficulty so we can ensure your success.