Frequently Asked Questions
What is an ODOT approved Class?
- Our ODOT approved program consists of two main components: Driving and Classroom
- Classroom: Students must successfully complete 30 hours of in-class instruction.
- Behind-the-wheel (BTW): Students are required to complete 6 hours of drive time with one of our professional instructors
- They must also complete an additional 6 hours of observation time (total of 12 hours in-vehicle training)
Do students need to obtain a permit prior to taking the course, or can they take the course without a permit?
- They must have their permit prior to taking the course.
What is the best for my child? A lot of driving practice before they start your teen class or not much drive experience before they start?
- We recommend enrolling students early in their driving experience.
Can anyone any age take the Teen program? My student is over 18 yrs. but still attending school, why is she not eligible for the discount of $210.00?
- Since students over the age of 17 are no longer subject to the Graduated Driver Licensing (GDL) laws, ODOT does not contribute to the cost of their driver education.
My student just cannot seem to pass the permit test; do you have anything to offer?
- We offer both individual tutoring as well as an online program.
How long does my student have to complete the Teen program? Why is there a deadline?
- Students have up to 90 days from the first day of class to complete their classroom time and BTW lessons. ODOT requires concurrent instruction between the classroom sessions and BTW lessons.
If my student does not pass the classroom with 80% or higher and/or the #6 drive test do they still get their Certificate?
- We provide students with every opportunity to succeed in both the classroom and BTW. Students are given opportunities to do extra credit work and even retake the final exam. In order to pass the driving portion of the course, students must move successfully through all 6 lessons. The drive test during lesson #6 does not determine the success or failure of the student. It helps prepare them for the DMV drive test and reveals areas the students needs to spend more time perfecting.
Can I get a discount as this would be our second child going through your program? Can I receive a discount since I am registering my twins/triplets with you?
- We do not have a standing policy, but we would be happy to have a manager review your request.
My student missed 2 days in class. What do we do? Do we have to make it up? If they attended the Parent/Student Night with me, do they get hours they attended deducted from the missing classroom hours?
- In order to qualify for an ODOT certificate, students must attend a minimum of 30 classroom hours. The PSN does count towards those classroom hours.
- Students may make up time by attending another class.
- You must download the form at our MAKE UP CLASS PAGE.
- Have the teacher sign that the student was in attendance and then submit the completed form to the office.
What is the difference between teen classes & private lessons?
- The private lessons are one-on-one driving lessons.
- Teen classes are ODOT approved and geared for 15 to 17 year olds with a permit.
Is my student required to attend all classes?
- 30 hours minimum classroom time is required
- They are required to 12 hrs in the vehicle = Six 2 hour Drive Lessons - 1 hour driving and 1 hour observing
FAQ - Behind the Wheel Drive Lessons